Pragmática del español: contexto, uso y variación introduces the central topics in pragmatics and discourse from a sociolinguistic perspective.
Pragmatic variation is addressed within each topic, with examples from different varieties of Spanish spoken in Latin America, Spain and the United States.
Key topics include:
- speech acts in context and deictic expressions
- implicit meaning and inferential communication
- intercultural competence in study abroad contexts
- pragmatics and computer-mediated discourse
- politeness and impoliteness in the Spanish-speaking world
- the pragmatics of Spanish among US heritage speakers
- the teaching and learning of pragmatics.