Portuguese Credit

Portuguese credits

If you have prior experience with Portuguese and feel you should be placed higher than P100 as your first course, you must meet with the Portuguese director, Professor Luciana Namorato, to have your correct course placement determined. Here is a summary of the special credits you can get for Portuguese courses, based on placement and course completion:

  • If you completed P135 and then skip to P250, you have earned special credit for P200 (short-track) .
  • If you complete P250 or a higher course with a C or better, you have earned P200 special credit.
  • If you complete P311, P317 or any higher-level Portuguese course with a C or better, you have earned special credit for P200 and P250.
  • If you complete P200 and skip to P311 or higher (completing the course with a C or better), you have earned special credit for P250.

Portuguese students can claim these special credits by emailing Jennifer Howard howard21@iu.edu.

Important notes about special credit

You cannot receive special credit for S280 (or S275). You will not receive Indiana University Bloomington special credit if you have transfer credits for a similar beginning Spanish or Portuguese course from another college.

Also, it is the policy of the College of Arts and Sciences that students whose native language is not English may not earn credit for courses at the 200-level in their native language. In most cases, these students are exempted from the foreign language requirement. However, residents of Puerto Rico are not subject to this policy and are eligible for Spanish language credit at any level. If you are a native speaker of Spanish or Portuguese and are interested in completing a major or minor in either of these languages, you must speak to the director of undergraduate studies or the director of the Portuguese program to determine what course you should start with.

If you have already qualified for special Spanish language course credits, you can click here to claim your Spanish credit online. After completing the form, click the “Submit” button. It takes 4-6 weeks for processing and when complete, the earned credit will appear on your Degree Progress Report.