All M.A. degrees require 90 credit hours:
- A total of 60 credit hours of departmental coursework, minor coursework, and M.A. transfer credits (up to 30 credits)
- Remaining credits (roughly 30) completed by Ph.D. thesis hours (S805).
- Two foreign languages or one in-depth language
- One minor area (at least 12 credit hours)
- Recommended fields include American Studies, Anthropology, Catalan, Center for Theoretical Inquiry in the Humanities, Comparative Literature, Cultural Studies, English, French, Gender Studies, General Linguistics, History, Italian, Latin, Latin American Studies, Medieval Studies, Philosophy, Portuguese, Renaissance Studies, and West European Studies
- One departmental seminar (S708); S512, Theory and Criticism, or its equivalent
- 18 credit hours in Hispanic Literature (excluding S512 and S517).